Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Journal 6-8-2009

Journal 6-8-2009

Scripture

Deuteronomy 19:14-21

14 Do not move your neighbor's boundary stone set up by your predecessors in the inheritance you receive in the land the LORD your God is giving you to possess.

Witnesses

15 One witness is not enough to convict a man accused of any crime or offense he may have committed. A matter must be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.

16 If a malicious witness takes the stand to accuse a man of a crime, 17 the two men involved in the dispute must stand in the presence of the LORD before the priests and the judges who are in office at the time. 18 The judges must make a thorough investigation, and if the witness proves to be a liar, giving false testimony against his brother, 19 then do to him as he intended to do to his brother. You must purge the evil from among you. 20 The rest of the people will hear of this and be afraid, and never again will such an evil thing be done among you. 21 Show no pity: life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.

Observation

Our God indeed plans ahead. Even before they enter the land, God gives clear and precise instructions in v14. God always talks assuming that we will obey his commands and receive his blessing. Despite knowing rewards God has in store, we falter. I wonder why?

Our God created the judiciary system we practice today. I can’t help to be amazed at the similarities. From witnesses, judges, plaintiff and the defendant, most of it is the same. They took God and the priests out of the system. Many people like to take God out of the equation. For example, big time motivators tend to use biblical principles without using the name of God. Do we take God out of the equation in whatever we do?

Our God stresses again that we must purge evil. We must take sin seriously. Our God is both graceful and just.

Application

1. I must obey God’s instructions. Since he knows my future, I have nothing to lose.

2. I must put God first in whatever I do.

3. I must purge all evil in me.

Response

Lord, thank you for planning my life ahead of me. I know that my future is in your hands. Help me to obey you. Thank you for creating a judiciary system that is fair to all. I pray that justice will be held at all times. I’m sorry or taking you out of my equation many times. Please don’t take me out of yours. Help me to be holy before you. Purge all evil thoughts that linger in my mind. Help me to be diligent in seeking your face by reading you word and praying everyday. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment