Sunday, August 2, 2009

Journal 3-8-2009

After celebration yesterday, I was inspired to continue my journaling….a good habit I’ve stopped for numerous months. I learned that “It is easy to kick a good habit TM” and “Once you kick a good habit, it’s hard to get back to the good habits TM” I hope to do this everyday.

Scripture

Deuteronomy 18:9-14 (NIV)
9 When you enter the land the LORD your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there. 10 Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, 11 or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. 12 Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD, and because of these detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you. 13 You must be blameless before the LORD your God. 14 The nations you will dispossess listen to those who practice sorcery or divination. But as for you, the LORD your God has not permitted you to do so.

Observation

It’s interesting that v9 says “do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there” which glared to me as “do not learn to imitate the sin of the people of the world”. I realize now that we actually learn to sin, and we learn it really fast; so fast that sometimes we think that we suddenly sin and fall into our addictions. At v10, I learn that WE MUST NOT interpret omens. Sometimes, when we are looking for a place to park for 30 mins, we say to ourselves “This is not a good day”. To me, this is a mild way of interpreting an omen. In v13, being blameless is something I’m always struggling with. Finally, I learn in v14 that we must not sin simply because God does not permit us. This reason alone must be enough for us to stop sinning. To me it is rude to question God why we can’t sin or justify sin. It is like questioning our company’s KPI’s (Key Performance Index). If we strive to meet our company’s KPI, we should be equally serious in meeting God’s KPI’s.

Application

1. Although I’m in the world, I mustn’t be of the world.
2. I must let God be God and not interpret things, events and any bad things which happens to me.
3. I must continue to walk my faith with discipline. (i.e bible, prayer, journaling, tithing, etc)
4. I must stop sinning because God told me so.

Response

Lord, thank you for being with me. Sorry for not journaling. Help me not to learn the things of the world but learn your things. Help me to control my tongue when something bad or irritating happens. Help me not to interpret things. Help me to be disciplined in seeking you and obeying you always. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment