Sunday, August 16, 2009

Journal 17-8-2009

Journal 17-8-2009

Scripture

Deuteronomy 23:1-8(The Message)

1 No eunuch is to enter the congregation of God. 2 No bastard is to enter the congregation of God, even to the tenth generation, nor any of his children.

3-6 No Ammonite or Moabite is to enter the congregation of God, even to the tenth generation, nor any of his children, ever. Those nations didn't treat you with hospitality on your travels out of Egypt, and on top of that they also hired Balaam son of Beor from Pethor in Mesopotamia to curse you. God, your God, refused to listen to Balaam but turned the curse into a blessing—how God, your God, loves you! Don't even try to get along with them or do anything for them, ever.

7 But don't spurn an Edomite; he's your kin.

And don't spurn an Egyptian; you were a foreigner in his land.

8 Children born to Edomites and Egyptians may enter the congregation of God in the third generation.

Observation

It is strange that a God does not allow certain groups of people to enter His kingdom. We always think of him as being a lovey dovey God. God is just. His reasons are far greater than we can imagine. It is true that the Ammonites, Moabites were archenemies of the Israelites. They have caused the Israelites to suffer. The Israelites then were quite misbehaved. They were into countless cycles of sinning and repenting. Anyone could easily influence them.

God loves us. His protection is greater than any curse people can throw on us.

God shows mercy on those who have shown mercy to us. We are not to reject our kin and those whose lands we were foreigner’s in. God remembered Pharaoh’s favour on Joseph and allowed them to enter God’s kingdom.

Application

I must not be influenced by outsiders and be steadfast in my faith.

I must not simply curse people and must pray that curses become blessings.

I must be kind to those whose land I was in.

Response

Lord, I thank you for being a part of my life. Thank you for your protection on me. Teach me to mix with the right people and not to blindly mix with those who will jeopardize my relationship with you. Teach me to be steadfast to you, God. I pray that all curses thrown will become blessings. Thank you for showing favour on whichever land you have put us in. Help me not to reject others Lord. In your name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment