Thursday, August 13, 2009

Journal 14-8-2009

Journal 14-8-09

Scripture

Mark 10

Jesus Counsels the Rich Young Ruler


17 Now as He was going out on the road, one came running, knelt before Him, and asked Him, “Good Teacher, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?”
18 So Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is,God. 19 You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery,’ ‘Do not murder,’ ‘Do not steal,’ ‘Do not bear false witness,’ ‘Do not defraud,’ ‘Honor your father and your mother.’[
c]
20 And he answered and said to Him, “Teacher, all these things I have kept from my youth.”
21 Then Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “One thing you lack: Go your way, sell whatever you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, take up the cross, and follow Me.”
22
But he was sad at this word, and went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

With God All Things Are Possible

23 Then Jesus looked around and said to His disciples, “How hard it is for those who have riches to enter the kingdom of God!” 24 And the disciples were astonished at His words. But Jesus answered again and said to them, “Children, how hard it is for those who trust in riches[d] to enter the kingdom of God! 25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”
26 And they were greatly astonished, saying among themselves, “Who then can be saved?”
27 But Jesus looked at them and said, “With men it is impossible, but not with God; for with God all things are possible.”

Observation

This is another famous passage in the bible. This rich guy comes to God, probably knowing all the answers and he wants to show off. He knew his scripture; he knew what he had to do and yet asked Jesus. Jesus even emphasized in v19 by saying “you know the commandments”

Jesus then, with compassion told him to sell his riches and give to the poor. He was sad and went away sorrowful. He then repeats himself 3 times from v23 onwards that it is hard (not impossible) for a rich man to enter God’s kingdom. Many times, we just have to be a little better off than we are before we become proud and think greatly of ourselves. We lose our first love for God and live life as a routine. When it comes to giving up the things we love the most, we justify and try to come up with alternatives to meet our ends. Yet, we must always be assured that with God all things are possible.

Application

I must always remember that God is more important than wealth.

I must be ready to always Give to the poor.

I must always be thankful that God is the source of all wealth must always be humble.

Response

Lord, I thank you or all that you have provided for me. Teach me to be always be humble and contrite before you. You alone are the source of all blessings in my life and I praise you. Help me to use my wealth wisely and not take advantage of your blessings. Teach me to always be humble before you and others. I thank you Lord that with You, all things are possible. I can only enter eternal life because of you alone Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment