Monday, August 10, 2009

Journal 10-8-2009

Isaiah 61

The Good News of Salvation

1 “The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon Me,
Because the LORD has anointed Me
To preach good tidings to the poor;
He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted,
To proclaim liberty to the captives,
And the opening of the prison to those who are bound;
2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD,
And the day of vengeance of our God;
To comfort all who mourn,
3 To console those who mourn in Zion,
To give them beauty for ashes,
The oil of joy for mourning,
The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness;
That they may be called trees of righteousness,
The planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified.”
4 And they shall rebuild the old ruins,
They shall raise up the former desolations,
And they shall repair the ruined cities,
The desolations of many generations.

Observation

This scripture is about restoration. He has put a spirit in all of us. This is also one of the fewer times we see the Spirit being in us in the Old Testament. He has come to free prisoners, comfort those who are in sorrow. He gives us the joy and a spirit of praise. God also refer to us as oaks in the bible. Oaks are a symbol of strength, stability and longevity. God then states that He has planted and He gets all the honour and praise. Wouldn’t it be nice if we can make God honour God and make him proud? Once the people are right, God then pours his blessings by rebuilding the cities that were torn. It is interesting to note that once God pours out his blessings, we tend to forget Him and repeat our cycle of sin.

Application

I must keep my faith. Once God blesses me, I must be a good steward of my talents and resources. I also must be careful not to repeat my cycle of sin.

Response

Lord I thank you that you are a God of infinite chances. Though we change, you do not change. Help me to strive to purge evil out of me. Teach me to be faithful to you. Help be an oak. Help me to be strong and stable in my faith. Help us to be good stewards of your talents and blessings that you have poured on us. Help me not to repeat my cycle of sin but be steadfast in you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment