Thursday, June 18, 2009

My Interfaith Dialogue Experience






Once upon a time, as i was facebooking (who doesn't), I came across this invite from a friend to attend this event called "People Like Us: How Arrogance Divides People". What made this event even more interesting was i was invited by a Malay friend to Church. I was surprised. This made me even more curious to attend the event.

I must confess i was suspicious as to what to expect as this was my first time attending such an event. I have heard of such events failing miserably. Over the years, many people have come back either furious or disappointed because of the sense of nothingness achieved. To make things worse, many friends advised me not to go. Some said i was wasting my time. Some said that these talks were politically motivated. Others said that I should concentrate on other things, etc. (Somehow people seem to be an expert when it comes to advising others) Nevertheless, I chose to attend simply because my conscience asked me to go.


When I reached there, I was so relieved to know that I was welcomed my a familiar face. Someone from my church actually attended the event. The members were friendly towards me. We sat down and waited as many were stuck in the jam. Pr. Sivin advised us to start on our own mini dialogue while waiting... So far so good.





Photo from Ripples from “People Like Us” Part 2



2 major religions, 3 minorities, 1 majority, 2 countries, 1 doctor, 1 reverend, 1 lawyer, 1 research assistant to Selangor's MB, 3 men and 1 woman. How many people am I talking about? The answer is 4. Such diverse backgrounds together discussing on one title towards one noble perspective. The format was informal and friendly. We were not at a church neither a mosque. We felt we were at home having a family discussion. The whole atmosphere was very cosy.


I realize that deep inside I was selfish. I tend to judge others based on my background. Most of the time, we get this perception of others even before we get to know them. We are insensitive when it comes to others. We don't bother about the background another. I feel that just because just because I believe that my way the true way to God, I tend to unconsciously treat people differently. I forget to love my neighbour and obey the golden rule.


What happened after the event was even more interesting. For the second time in my life, I've actually seen people having fun together regardless race, colour or religion. Everyone was equal. For once, we viewed each other the way God views us, equal. We were chatting with each other (offline) about stuff. The speakers also actually took the extra mile to stay back and interact with the others who came. Many stayed until 11.30pm, one hour after the talk actually ended. It was indeed one of the most memorable moments in my life.

Have you ever wondered how would life be like if everyone treated each other equally? Come to the next Interfaith dialogue.

I'm looking forward for a Christian to call me to a mosque, a Muslin inviting me to a Sikh temple, a Hindu inviting me to church,...the possibilities are endless. I also look to a time where youths and people of different race, colour and religion come together and organise activities together.

A big thank you to the organisers and the host for organising such a wonderful programme.





2 comments:

  1. by the topic I can guess the discussion was friendly and fear for a noble cause

    ReplyDelete